The Walk to Emmaus experience begins with the prayerful discernment and invitation from a sponsor.
The best way to share your Emmaus experience is to share it with others. Being a sponsor is easy, but requires purposeful, prayerful preparation and follow-through. Follow these simple steps!
Step 1: Opening Invitation
- Set an appointment to answer questions:
- Format of the weekend, dates and times
- Ecumenical, open environment
- Prayerful focus on God; no electronics, no distractions
- Follow-up and Fourth Day
- Answer all questions/no secrets
- Extend the invitation/Seek a commitment
- Complete the application (Find it here: Events), obtain payment, and complete the form ONLINE or download PDF and mail to Registrar no less than 30 days before Walk’s start.
Step 2. Prepare for the Weekend
- Provide additional information
- Confirm transportation to and from opening and closing
- What to bring/not to bring, accommodations, comfortable clothes
- No Electronics
- Contact family, friends, church members to obtain Agape letters (we recommend at least 10). Below is a template letter you can customize to help explain the process to non-Emmaus readers.
- Arrange to help Pilgrim’s family as needed (i.e. child care, elder care, transportation, meal)
Step 3. Participate During Weekend
- Deliver your Pilgrim on time to Opening (Thursday)
- Allow time to check in and obtain name badge
- Place bags in room and settle in
- Be at Flaget Retreat Center by 7:00 pm for Send Off
- Attend Sponsor’s Hour and pray for your Pilgrim
- Attend Candlelight.
- Be on time for Closing (Sunday 4:00 pm) at Flaget Retreat Center
- Ensure Pilgrim gets home
Step 4. Fourth Day Contribution
- Bring Pilgrim to Follow Up at 7:30 pm the first Thursday following Walk
- Help Pilgrim find a Reunion/Accountability group
- Bring them to their first community Gathering held after the Walk